Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Giving Thanks

No, it's not quite Thanksgiving, but 9/11 always inspires me to reflect upon the tragic events of that day, and how thankful I am for everything in my life. There is so much going on in the world - the election battle, war, violence, starvation, and instances of utter dispair - that it is difficult not to get caught up in it all. I think 9/11 offers a rare, sobering opportunity to reflect back on that horrific day, as well as what is truly important in this life.

I can't deny that I LOVE lists, but I wouldn't even know where to start a list of things I'm grateful for. Maybe by Thanksgiving I can come up with something clever. Over the past few weeks, more than ever, I have realized how fragile and precious life is. You never know when you're going to get the call you've been waiting for, or the call you've been dreading, and the space in between can, at times, be taken for granted. It's the little things that fall by the wayside that really make each day, and I think that those would be #1 on my list today.

I'm also grateful to live in the country I do. Even with the political nonsense, economic crisis, strikes (need I go on?), I'd be hard-pressed to find someplace that I would rather live. What makes this country chaotic, is also what makes it beautiful. The fact that people can strike, or can go off on their own and start a company like they've always dreamed of, or can publicly voice their opinions on any matter is something I could never live without. For, with the chaos, comes a fierce pride in being American. This is epitomized by the men and women who risk their lives every day to protect these ideals that we hold so dear, and for them I am truly grateful as well.

Just a few things I'm grateful for..

La Famille

L'Amour

My brother heading off to college - Go Ducks!


Nothing beats a wedding with some of America's finest

My country (and football)






Friends, friends, friends

As you can tell, I'm loving love today, everyone! Take today not only to reflect, but to spread a little love of your own.

SJ

1 comment:

  1. this day makes me reflect on things I'm thankful for too...isn't it crazy how 1 event changed our lives forever...cute pics by the way!

    ReplyDelete