Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner

I have weird cravings. Ask anyone I know. For instance, there were a solid six months where anything I ate had to have buffalo sauce on it - and, no, I didn't only eat wings. We all have cravings. The hard part isn't squashing them, it's figuring out how to indulge them without needing to increase your pants size every few weeks.

Last night, in particular, I was craving breakfast. Not just any breakfast, the good (but horrible) kind - eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes... the works. Oh, and I was craving mushrooms. What? Having just come from an incredible Total Body Drum Beat class - don't knock it 'til you try it - I couldn't quite lower myself to indulging my craving on that level. So, what did I do? I "healthified" my craving into a not-so-bad-for-you, easy-to-make omelette. Instead of eggs, one full egg and two egg whites. Instead of a mound of greasy bacon, one strip of Turkey Bacon. Added some mushrooms (another craving) and low fat cheese and I was in business.

The Customized-to-your-Craving Omelette

What I Used:
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 3 Eggs - (1) with yolk and (2) without
- 1 Strip of Turkey Bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp Low Fat Cheese (of your liking)

How I Made It:
1. Pour the oil into a small sauce pan or skillet. If the oil doesn't completely cover the bottom, then add a bit more.
2. Add mushrooms and turn the heat on medium, covering with a lid. Stir occasionally. Let simmer for 3-4 minutes, then take off the stove and let sit.
3. Microwave (please don't fry) the turkey bacon for 1 1/2 minutes, or until cooked to your liking, then break into pieces and put in a measuring cup.
4. Mix the eggs in a bowl, adding a splash of milk if you prefer.
Cutest mini skillet in the world - thanks Nan!

5. Pour eggs into medium/small sauce pan or skillet that has been sprayed with Pam (or other), letting them spread across the bottom. Turn heat to medium/high.
6. Let the eggs sit, occasionally running a spatula around the edge to check the cohesion of the bottom layer.
7. Flip the eggs over (hopefully in one flip) with your spatula, in order to finish cooking the top side.
8. Add mushrooms and turkey bacon, spreading evenly across the eggs.
9. With your spatula, fold the omelette in half as evenly as possible, and slide onto a plate.
10. Add the low fat cheese immediately, allowing it to melt over the omelette.
Mmm, mmm, mmm

And voila! Customize to meet your needs. In a spinach mood? Add while the eggs are still hardening in order to wilt the spinach, making it soft and delicious. And the list goes on!

Ok folks, time for my Lean Cuisine!.. Hey, I cooked last night, and Yoga was not kind to me today.

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment