This Fall is particularly exciting because it is my first in The Pitts. While I will, for the most part, have to grin-and-bear Steelers Mania (Pats are 1-0.. just saying), there are endless other opportunities that I look forward to enjoying! Plus, it's fun living in a football town, even if you're not a fan of the home team. I'll give Pittsburgh this much - they do Football Sundays right.
So, other than holing up in my apartment to root like hell for the Patriots, I have lots and lots of Fall-oriented exploring to do. And what's the best way to go about adventure-ing? List making! I've come up with a few categories that I would like to cover, as well as a few researched (not-tested) options, and hopefully this will help to get the ball rolling.
1. Best Football Bars: Not to be confused with best Steelers Bars. I want a place where I can go, have a beer, and just watch some football.
- Buffalo Blues: "Eat. Drink. Cheer." - Enough said.
- Jerome Bettis Grille 36: Close enough to Heinz Field to capture some Football-Sunday energy.
- Mullen's Bar and Grill: With locations in the North Shore and South Side, Mullen's gives me options if I'm feeling particularly Steeler'd-out.
- City of Pittsburgh Farmers' Markets: The City sponsors markets at seven different locations through November 21 - plenty of time to sample them all.
- Pittsburgh Public Market: This indoor market is open year-round, and will be a must-see during an adventure along The Strip.
- Simmons Farm: Pick your own everything (apples, pumpkins, flowers) + hay ride.. I'm in.
- Soergel Orchards: No idea how to pronounce the name, but they sold me with their pictures of apple cider and donuts (what diet?).
- Trax Farms: For $8 you get a 25 minute tour of the farm, apple cider, a donut and a 3-5 lb pumpkin. Seriously?? See you there!
Yep, that's happening.
Photo Courtesy of Soergel Orchards
4. Best Sporting Events: Ok, everyone will have their biases, but the tailgate definitely factors in here!
- Pittsburgh Pirates: Already been - and loved it - but as the playoffs near I think the atmosphere will be incredible as the Buccos try to claw their way in.
- WVU Mountaineers: Plans are in the works to get down to a game, but also interested to find a few WVU hot spots around here to get a feel for these fans.
- Miami RedHawks: Had to put it on here - can't wait for a little Homecoming tailgating in a few weeks!
- Pittsburgh Steelers: Sigh. No, I have no plans to go to a game, but I wouldn't be opposed to some pre-game festivities based on what I've seen thus far.
- "Tastin' Tuesdays" by Pittsburgh Wine Festival: Hosted once per month at the Sheraton at Station Square, indulge in some wine and cheese to take the edge off of the work day.
- Tastings Presented By Palate Partners: Palate Partners offers bi-monthly Friday night wine tastings, plus events such as The Warhol Wine Tastings and custom wine seminars for those who really want to get their vino on.