Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Welcome Back

Oh hey! Yes, I am still alive, and yes, I still plan on blogging in 2013 - so please don't take my prolonged absence as a sign of an unfortunate present-opening accident or a New Years Resolution to no longer blog.

HA!

No, no - I've been running around doing a million and one things, and sometimes nothing at all, but all of it was part of a prolonged period of quiet time. No, I certainly wasn't always quiet (really??), but it was more of an inner quiet that I was oh-so desperately in need of. No stress, no deadlines, no hustle-and-bustle other than my nightmarish travel experiences and overdose of shopping. Quiet time.

Quiet time also meant unplugging for a little bit - going as far off the grid as I realistically will ever go. I rarely was on my phone, my laptop is in the same place that it has been since last week, hell, I don't even know where 3 of my 4 phone chargers are right now. But it was nice, oh so nice.

What did I do? Let me break it down...

  • Eat, eat, and eat some more. Guess who can seriously put away food? This girl. Yep, I've still got it despite years of watching what I eat. But, unlike previous years, I am in no way remorseful. I ate well, but rarely over-indulged, and found a strange peace in just letting go of the calorie-counting for a brief moment in time.
  • Exerci.... Ok, I did do some of this, but not enough that I should even give it a bullet point. Sorry I'm not sorry.
  • I rediscovered the beauty of sleeping til noon. I didn't think I had it in me - the latest I have slept in recent memory was about 10:30a after a particularly brutal night - but I did it. Three times! And why not? No children, no pets, no work meant see you in the afternoon for me!
  • Spent some much-needed time with family and friends. Weekends just aren't enough sometimes, so the holidays always provide the chance to spend some quality time with the ones I love.
  • Ran in airports. And I mean ran. If you were lucky enough to see me haul across the Houston and/or Atlanta airport in my UGGs (woof) like a bat out of hell, well, you're welcome for the laugh. Don't worry, I only went 1-for-2, so 50% of the time it was all for naught.
  • Quality time with the roommate. After a particularly brutal, but great weekend with one of PG's best friends, we were down for the count come this past Sunday. The cure? Alternating between sleep and zombie states for a solid 12 hours on the new couch. Not only did we re-energize, but we got to spend some quality one-on-one time together, which will get increasingly rare as work picks up.
  • Ran into walls. Laugh away, but this was seriously a vacation filled with bumping into things. Maybe it was because I was partially asleep more often than not, or maybe it was because I love Christmas wine. Who knows. But it happened, so there it is.
  • Did some apartment redecoration. Hooray! We got new slip covers for our old couch, added an ottoman with serious loungability, got another end table, and did little things here and there. Washed down with a massive dinner at PF Changs thanks to a lovely gift from my parents.
Ok, that's it for now. You get the gist. I did a lot - a lot of something, and a lot of nothing. I even managed to get sick and survive a snowstorm. But the moral of the story is that it was a wonderful vacation, and I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store!

How did you spend your holidays? I'd love to hear!

Doing a blog hop woohoo! Check out all of the fun by clicking the button below!






SJ

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by to say Happy New Year! www.mendezmanor.com

    ReplyDelete