Monday, August 27, 2012

I Hate Running

Ok, so I don't actually hate running, but these first few days of trying to get myself in gear for the half have been nothing short of difficult.

Lessons Learned (so far):
1. Give myself a day off here and there. Trying to do too much, too soon has done me no favors.
2. Vary the routes - I've learned how quickly I bore of running the same path every day.
3. Don't run past all of the bars around PNC Park on a game day - it sparks jealousy and makes me want to be lazy. Enough said.
4. STRETCH. And not just stretch, stretch adequately. Something I have taken for granted until now.

So how's it going? Well enough. I wouldn't say well.. but I wouldn't say not well either. I'm just kind of.. doing it. Waiting for my great inspiration to click so I'll be able to run and run and run, and love every second of it. But I've decided that not everyone has that moment. Some people, like me, are doing it to better themselves or to cross something off of the bucket list, so they trudge through it. I'm thinking, at least right now, that's my category.

My biggest victory so far has been actually running every day, sometimes after work when I have already worked out over lunch. This includes yesterday, when every bone in my I'm-lazy-it's-Sunday body was telling me to not move from the couch, and to keep watching the endless run of great movies on ABC Family (Time Traveller's Wife, The Notebook, Aladdin.. come on). But I did it! I didn't go too far, but just having the drive to get out there even when I normally wouldn't was a little pat on the back for me.

Maybe I don't need one great moment of inspiration, maybe I just need a few more moments like that.

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment